Skip to main content

New Series: A Fly on the Walls of Sunset Valley

As the title indicates, this series will take place in Sunset Valley, it being my favorite world to play. The SV townies have grown dear to me and I enjoy seeing what they get up to each time I start a new save. Sims will have high freewill with little interference from me except to fulfill wishes. Every 4-5 days I will switch households and check in on a different Sim(s).


I have populated SV with eight households for this series. They are all living within the same couple streets, in the hopes that they will be more likely to meet. Some of them will be recognizable and others are my own creations. A lot of the town's default households have been evicted except for my favorites in an effort to make the game run smoothly and hopefully result in Sims doing a lot of autonomous actions instead of just standing in one place for hours.


Wishes

The only time I will direct a Sim's actions will be if they wish for it. If a Sim wishes to prepare a meal, I can direct them to do so. I will however be giving myself the flexibility to loosely interpret wishes. For example, a Sim may wish to play the guitar. I can send them to a bar which I know has a guitar to play it there. This is mainly since active Sims will not autonomously leave the house and I don't want to get bored.

Opportunities will be treated similar to wishes. If a Sim gets an opportunity to read a book for work I can direct them to do that. When I playtested this idea Sims seemed to often get opportunities on the 3rd or 4th day I had been in the household. If the rewards are worth it I might stretch the stay an extra day in order to complete the opportunity.

Exceptions

I will occasionally direct Sims to:
  • Pay the bills
  • Change out of work clothes
  • Read the paper to find the hotspot in town
  • Sleep - I will keep Sims on a decent sleep schedule. It's no fun if they're just constantly in the red on energy and only taking useless naps. 
Things I will not do
  • Travel - Since this is a 4-5 day rotational play style there will be no traveling to other worlds. I don't want to spend too long playing any single household.
  • Nrass Story Progression - The mod will not be enabled. Normally I love it but for this play style I don't want the Sims getting paired off while they are inactive. Would rather see it happen through their own autonomous actions or from me nudging them along based on their wishes. 
Settings

Aging is set to a long lifespan, 284 days. With rotating between all these households I didn't want half of them to be elders before we even get to check in on them.


I know a lot of other Sims story authors hide the headline effects (plumbob and thought bubbles) in their screenshots but I will be keeping them on. I find it amusing to see what Sims talk about and what they dream about at night. That sounds creepy but hey it's Sims!

Comments